National Design Workshop Discussions 2018–19: Report for MHCLGFri 11 Oct 2019
During 2019 the Design Network organised a series of roundtable conversations between MHCLG and councillors and planning officers across the country. MHCLG attended to listen and learn about the day to day barriers local authorities were finding when looking to deliver well designed, high quality homes.
Key findings included:
- A disconnect between policies relating to the 5 – year supply of housing, the housing delivery test, permitted development rights, the role of viability tests, and policies requiring design quality
- Difficulties in applying the Nationally Described Space Standards due to the way they had to be locally adopted
- A disconnect between planning and highway objectives within authorities
- A lack of meaningful local engagement
- A lack of access to people with design, viability and negotiation skills
Click here for a more detailed summary of issues raised.